CURRENT AND PAST PROJECTS
- OPERAs (www.operas-project.eu) operationalising ecosystem services. Responsibility for socio-cultural values. Application and public participation Fingal coast.
- Economic assessment of habitats and ecosystem services in the context of Environmental Liability Directive. ECORISK project EPA Strive. Report summary or see Ecorisk final main report1
- Climate change adaptation and economic appraisal in ADAPT project EPA Strive. Final report available at www.epa.ie
- Native woodlands natural capital value. For Woodlands of Ireland. Final report short version. See www.woodlandsofireland.com or contact us for full report.
- The economic benefits of green infrastructure. Parks-Atlantic. With Cunnane Stratton Reynolds.
- Wilderness values. The economic benefit of wilderness creation in Nephin Beg, Mayo. Coillte 2011. Presentation to Wilderness in a Modified Landscape conference, 15 May 2013.
- Economic value of built heritage in Northern Ireland with EFTEC and RSM McClure Watters.
- Attitudes to flood risk in Bray, Co. Wicklow (with Eoin O’Neill & Finbarr Brereton)
- Management of UCD GPEP Boom to Bust seminar series. www.ucd.ie/gpep/events
- Study of the impact of climate change on Ireland’s coastal and inland waterways heritage and on associated tourism impacts. Heritage Council and Failte Ireland with Icarus (NUIM) and Ecoserve (2007/08)
- The social and economic aspects of biodiversity. Ecosystem services valuation for Dept of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government (2007). With CKES. Report.
- Contribution to multidisciplinary study of Irish Peatlands (EPA Boglands project) Valuation and policy recommendations. Contact us for papers on socio-economics and policy proposals. Also Final Report UCD/EPA. 2007-2011.
- ForEcon. Economic value of an expansion of Irish forests on behalf of UCD for Coford.
- Value of Ireland’s heritage. Economic contribution to Heritage Council project. With Keith Simpson Associates and Lansdowne Market Research (2006-07).
- Liffey Valley Park. Public preferences and demographic analysis. With ERM on behalf of for local authorities in Kildare, Fingal, South Dublin and Dublin City (2006).
- Scoping of environmentally-friendly investment. With First Western Consultants & Omagh College for Cavan & Monaghan LEADER and Donegal LEADER (2005).
- Value of forest and countryside trails. Environmental economic input to Fitzpatrick Associates project on behalf of Irish Sports Council and Coillte (2005)
- The Cost and Benefits of Roads. With EFTEC on behalf of EPA (2001/02).
- Cost Benefit Analysis of the RESI, a geological / environmental survey proposed by Geological Survey of Ireland (2000)
- Economic Consultant to SRUNA Project. Application of public participation in the management of environmental assets. (1999-2000).
- The economic value of the historic environment of Northern Ireland. EFTEC (www.eftec.co.uk) and RSM McClure Watters for Northern Ireland Environment Agency (2011)
- Cost-benefit analysis of rural housing and assessment of residential preferences. UCD. Contact us for papers. Report EPA
- Appraisal of objective and subjective indices of urban and rural quality of life. UCD Project funded by EPA. Currently being updated as of Nov 2012. Report EPA
- Economic contribution to public realm plan for Balbriggan on behalf of Loci (www.loci.ie) for Fingal County Council (2011)
- Co-ordination of EU GREENSPACE Project. The public benefits of urban green space. Project funded by the EU Fourth Framework Programme.
- Economic chapter of Local Area Plan for Woodstock/Inistioge with Brendan McGrath Associates on behalf of Kilkenny County Council (2005/06).
- Draft Strategic Environmental Assessment for Buncrana Development Plan with Brendan McGrath Associates (2007).
- Strategic Environmental Assessment of Kilrush with Conor Kretsch and Brendan McGrath Associates (2007).
- Migration into rural Ireland. UCD project originally funded by Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences. With Dr. Mark Scott. (On-going 2011)
- Administrative assistance to European Social Survey, Geary Institute, UCD, 2009/10.
- Barriers to employment faced by long-term unemployed, people with disabilities and lone parents. PAUL Partnership & Limerick Employment Serivee (2005)
- Labour and skills market analysis of Limerick for Shannon Development (2000)
- Labour market analysis of Limerick area. With East West Group, UK (2000).
- Cost benefit analysis of Dublinbikes Scheme for Dublin City Council (2010)
- Analysis of Travel to School data on behalf An Taisce
- Evaluation of selected Local Sports Partnerships with Fitzpatrick Associates on behalf of Irish Sports Council (2005).
- Expert Evaluator to European Commission for international research projects, e.g. Coastal Zone Management and Environmental Sustainability (2005 & 2006).
- Pilot evaluation of Fingal County Heritage Plan for First Western Consultants on behalf of the Heritage Council (2005).
- Input to evaluation of water services investment 2000-06 on behalf of Fitzpatrick Associates (2005).
- Waste and water chapters of Mid-term Evaluation of BMW Regional OP on behalf of Fitzpatrick Associates (2003).
- Review of best practice in Project Selection and Appraisal. On behalf of Department of Finance. (Fitzpatrick Associates).
- Contribution to Value-for-money analysis of Irish Coastal Protection for DoMNR (Fitzpatrick Associates, 2002).
- Evaluation of Wicklow LEADER support for SMEs. With NRDC, Trinity (1999).
- Economic analysis of international standards. EU Commission in collaboration with ISUG (2001).
Industry and Small Businesses
- Analysis of the reasons for the failure of small businesses and proposals for enterprise policy in Ireland. (Fitzpatrick Associates for Dept of Enterprise, Community & Employment 2000).
- Appraisal of opportunity for competition and external delivery of training in agriculture, forestry and fisheries (Fitzpatrick Associates, 2000).
Agriculture and Environment
- Briefing paper on the sustainability of Irish agriculture for the Towards Sustainability in the NDP Conference organised by Comhar, Oct. 2006.
- Review of current issues in rural development as part of Evaluation of LEADER Plus (Fitzpatrick Associates 2000)
- Prior evaluation of Rural Development Plan (Compensatory Allowances) for Fitzpatrick Associates for DAFRD (Fitzpatrick Associates 1999)
- Environmental chapter of the evaluation of the Rural Environmental Protection Scheme (REPS) for DAFRD (1999).
Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Economic input to a Strategic Plan for Irish Aquaculture on behalf of CIRCA for DoMNR (1999)
- Feasibility study on the need for a quarantine facility for Irish Aquaculture. With Ecoserve for Marine Institute (1999)
- Fisheries sections of Structural Fund NUTS II report on behalf of Regional Authorities (Fitzpatrick Associates, 1999)
- Preparation of Seafood Industry Agenda on behalf of Bord Iascaigh Mhara (Fitzpatrick Associates, 1998)
The Rural Environment
- Preparation of paper on the management of environmental assets subject to common property management. For MLURI (1998).
- A socio-economic study of deer management including a Choice Experiment valuation survey of hunters and other upland users. For MLURI (1996-97)
- Cost-benefit analysis of Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ESAs) scheme. With Stirling Uni./MLURI for Scottish Office (1996)
- Analysis of landscape change in Southern Uplands Environmentally Sensitive Area. For MLURI 1993-96